Lentils are a great source of (vegetarian!) protein, essential minerals, and dietary fiber, but it’s not always obvious how to incorporate them into daily meals.
Well, here is one of my favorite lentil recipes — a great one for both lentil lovers and lentil beginners. Though the recipe takes about an hour to make from start to finish, active prep time is minimal, so I still count this as one of my simple/easy/quick meals.
- 1 cup green lentils rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- Combine all ingredients in a pot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer, covered, for 45 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and lentils are tender.
- Serve over baked winter squash, like butternut or kabocha squash.
- Serve over brown rice (or quinoa) and roasted broccoli.
- Serve cold over a fresh, leafy green salad.
- Add as a topping to avocado toast.